Sunday, March 4, 2012

What I didn't expect about being a new mom

As a first time mom, I prepped like crazy for the baby. I made sure the nursery was painted (not that I did much painting myself!), made sure it was stocked with every gadget that would make my life easier, and made sure it was color coordinated in shades of purple and lavender for my little love bug.

And we don't use it.

Well, not for it's intended purpose. We do change diapers in there because it's all set up for it, but other than that, I have a nursery full of boxes, and the boxes are full of clothes that don't fit in one way or another. The crib has been a great place to keep clean clothes, since I don't have time to put them away. And it's not like we are using the crib.

Makes me glad we used hand-me-down furniture in there.

I think I have managed to actually use most of the other gadgets. Yes, I use the wipe warmer. I hate dropping the drawers to pee at night, and would love a heated toilet seat. I can only assume that my daughter gets a bit of a chill when I expose her legs and booty to the air conditioned house after she has been bundled up in soft fleecy warmth.

What other stuff did I buy and not use? The baby bathtub. Bassinet with stand, sheets, and pad. Pack and play (there's still hope for that one though!). Baby nail clippers- they got used once. Nipped the poor kid's finger. Not sure who cried harder...

Also various bottles and nipples that she didn't like (never buy a 3-pack of bottles until you're sure the baby will like that brand), pacifiers she won't take, and cutesy dresses that she doesn't wear because she usually spits up or smears sweet potatoes on them anyway.

So- if there's a next time, I will be sure to spend my money on what's important- prenatal massages and college savings...


1 comment:

  1. Lol! Prenatal massages :)
    I also spent my time prepping the nursery, trying to get it just right. Having just bought our house, it was a wreck. Except the nursery. I'm also glad we received a hand me down crib (amongst other things). She slept in a basinet for three months. Then in our bed for another 15 months or so. Then on the crib mattress in our room on the floor for another year. Finally we moved her to her room, and into a twin size bed. It's amazing how your parenting style changes when you go from infant teacher to infant parent! Lucky for us, the crib when to good use when a friend found out hers was recalled and we were able to pass on ours to someone new.
    But we learn so quickly the things that really matter in parenting. And that the money would have been better used towards pedicures!

    ReplyDelete