Sunday, March 11, 2012

I'm not ready for this!

My husband and I were having some cuddle time while sitting on the floor watching the baby crawl all over her toys.  We were talking about how great a little crawler she's become, and in a fairly rapid manner.  She started really getting her belly up off the floor while she was staying with my parents (end of february), and over the course of about two weeks has become quite proficient at crawling.  As we are discussing this, she apparently noticed the lights on the TV box on the entertainment center, and made a bee-line for it.  The TV box is up about 2 feet off the ground on a shelf, and underneath it is a cabinet with glass-insert doors.  Instead of stopping when she got there, she situated herself sitting on her legs, leaned into the doors and put her little hands up as high as she could, and used the friction of her hands against the glass as a way to pull herself up.  As soon as I saw her starting into this motion I went over to her to prevent any catastrophic falls, but I didn't stop her, and lo and behold, she got to her feet and was able to reach the lights and buttons.

Lord help us.

The kid clearly didn't read the "childhood milestones" book that says that I am supposed to get another month to child proof my house before she really starts moving around on her own.

But what's worse (perhaps?) is the fact that it makes me realize how quickly the time goes (so cliche, I know).  Seven months have flown by, and I tried to do everything I could to just enjoy the time we have had together.  But I already miss her sleeping curled up on my chest (though I don't miss the fact that it was the ONLY place she would sleep), and I miss the tiny little diapers (that didn't stink nearly as bad).  I miss the wonder with which she stared at her hands, and that very first smile and coo (and now she won't stop talking!!)... Bittersweet must be a word that was coined specifically for parenting, because I've never felt anything so bittersweet in my life.

I'm pretty much gonna be a washed up wreck when she starts walking.

I'll be that parent who can't hold it together at the first day of preschool, or Kindergarten graduation, and every other milestone my child reaches.  Yup.  I'll be THAT mom.  Maybe I'll remember to keep kleenex with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment