Saturday, February 25, 2012

In Sickness and In Health

I feel like some of the qualities that make me a decent medic are the same ones that make me a decent photographer.

One of those is a strong sense of empathy, and another is a keen awareness of nonverbal means of communication. Both are useful in reading patients to help coax out "what is really wrong," and when it comes to photography, they're useful in determining how I frame a photo, or what I can do to use the light to accent an emotion or feeling.

When I was at work the other day, I desperately wished I had my camera with me- no, not a good MVC, nothing bloody or gory, but something that helped me remember why I do this job.

I was on my way through the hospital pushing a stretcher. As I walked by a patient room, I glanced in an saw an elderly couple- the husband in the hospital bed receiving a breathing treatment, the wife standing by his side. The couple was probably in their mid seventies.

What happened next was simple, but represents so much, and admittedly made me tear up a little. The wife leaned over and gently kissed her husband on the head as she stroked his face, then just rested her head on top of his, eyes closed, as she held him close.

In my experience, it's rare that older couples demonstrate affection where I am present to witness it. I was lucky to glance in on a private moment, and it was absolutely refreshing to see such love and compassion in this couple.

I instantly felt the wife's fear and anxiety for the health of her husband, her comforting instinct, and her desire to make her husband feel better, and at the same time, it reminded me of my own love I have for my husband and family.

I wanted my camera because it's a moment I wish I could have captured to share. The rush of emotions that came with that moment was bittersweet, but one that reminded me that my job is to help people- humans, with a need for compassion-through these events. And to fix what I can in the process.



No comments:

Post a Comment