Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Rule Breaker

I am a mommy rule breaker. My 6 month old has eaten cupcakes and tasted vinegar, I nurse her all night long in the bed we share, and i keep her in my arms nearly all the time.

And I'm proud of it.

I took my baby to the doctor yesterday for her 6 month checkup. Her pediatrician asked about all the milestones- is she rolling, reaching, grabbing, scootching. She also asked about sleep habits and if she's sleeping through the night.

Uh, what? My daughter sleep through the night? You're kidding right?

Apparently my daughter "weighs enough" that she should be sleeping through the night, and if she isn't, perhaps it's how we have taken to soothing her...

Right, so now I'm the bad guy, ruining my baby by allowing her to nurse all night long.

So for those of you who are fans of Dr. Sears, perhaps you are familiar with the concept of the "high needs infant.". My daughter is one of these- always wants to be held, wants to be close to mom, want to nurse all night long, and are quite vocal about having their needs met RIGHT NOW. Patience is not something these young ones have learned...

What's the solution, according to Dr. Sears? Deal with it as best I can, and cherish the fact that there is someone who loves me so much that she just can't live without me. So, I will keep breaking the rules and keep giving her what she needs, and for the most part what she wants, be it cupcakes or an all night boobie buffet, in hopes that I will see the benefits of a high needs infant- that of a confident, passionate, and determined young adult.


No comments:

Post a Comment